Over the last four years that my children have been fully entrenched in the band we have heard a lot of positive feedback in the churches where we have shared our music and testimony. Through the feedback, the thing that has most impressed me is the need for families in our churches to be encouraged to embrace a lifestyle of ministry.
I hear many families who seem to accept the wisdom of the world instead of the Truth of the Gospel as it pertains to family relationships, overcoming obstacles and living out a Biblical world view in what seems to be an increasingly post Christian culture. Through our songs and testimony during our concerts we speak to some of this, but in response to many questions and coverstations we have had following our concerts (in regard to our approach to family, parenting and ministry) we are now also booking what we call Family To Family Events. These can be one day, two day or weekend Family events specifically designed to engage, equip and energize families in their God given roles and purposes. Family to Family Events include corporate worship, topical sessions during which we share on subjects (chosen by the host from the list below) that best meet the needs of each particular audience, and a closing concert by the Frye Family Band.
1. Parenting as a Team (Reflecting the Personality of God to our Children) -Addresses the importance of not just having a mother and father in the lives of children, but also the need for parents to work as a team, thereby best reflecting the personality of our Heavenly Father to our children, helping them to understand more clearly His unconditional love.
2. Preparing our Children for a Life of Purpose and Ministry -Addresses our role in and responsibility to prepare our children for a life of purpose by developing in them a Kingdom mindset through practical applications of Psalm 127:4.
3. My Brother, My Sister, My Best Friend (The Importance of Deliberate Parenting) -Examines the importance o functioning as a healthy family, encouraging parents to not accept the wisdom of the world, but the truth of the gospel. And how through deliberate parenting decisions, effective God-honoring discipline and learning to serve each other in our homes we can not only have stronger families, but a greater impact on the Kingdom.
4. Building a Family Ministry - Examines the principles of serving God as a family. Encouraging parents to look for and develop the spiritual giftings of their family, in order not just to serve together now, but as a means through which we are able to disciple our children, preparing them to lead their own families and creating for them a legacy of faith.
5. Obstacles or Opportunities (Viewing your story in the Light of the Gospel) - Through the sharing of my own struggle to overcome issues of fear and insecurity, I encourage others to identify the story of Christ in their own life, and beauty of being willing to bare our scars as a means through which we can most effectively communicate not only the hope of God's healing, but the beauty of His ability to redeem our pain for a greater good.
6. The Call of the Father - Through scripture, my own story and two sobering statistics, I examine the importance of a Fathers role in the physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of his children
Here are what othes our saying about our events:
"His family is so special, as they shared in worship, as they shared in testimony, small group studies this weekend, wow! They just have such an awesome way of bringing the foundation of God through their family, what a blessing to have them and I would invite you to invite them to come to your church or your event because you'll be blessed also."
Pastor Rod Smith, Chippewa United Methodist Church, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
"...one of the things that really connected with me about Tom is that he doesn't accept the norm, he doesn't accept the world's world view, but he's accepted what Christ has taught us through the scriptures...Deuteronomy 6 is one of those passages that knit my heart together with Tom; as you're sitting in your house as you're walking along, as you're doing life, no matter where you're going or what you're doing in life, we're to talk about the things of Christ and that's one of the things that just seems to ooze out of Tom and his family. This is a family who is getting it. I see that they are learning how to live life as Christ really wants them to live it and it gives me something tangible to look at and to see that my family can do life together, my family can talk about God together, my family is designed to minister together. Seeing them do ministry today gave me hope, it gave me a model that we can point to...I look forward to further partnerships with Tom and to see where the Lord is going to take him because I think God is at work in this family's lives."
Pastor Brad Kittle, Praise Point Church, Willshire, Ohio
Our passion has always been to encourage the Body to live our their individual and collective purposes, and I am more and more convinced that many of our struggles as individuals and as a nation are born out of the erosion of the family. Our hope is to encourage families to embrace an attitude of service in our homes, our churches, our communities and to the uttermost parts of the world, for the sake of the Gospel.
- Tom on behalf of the Frye Family